Palak|Spinach Khichdi With Curds And Fresh Salads
- 1/4 cup Rice
- 1 cup Spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup Toor dal
- 1 Tomato
- 2 teaspoons Ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Green chilli
- A pinch of Turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- A generous pinch of Asafetida
|Serving Size||1 Serving||Per Serving%||Daily Value*|
|Calories||290||Calories from Fat||90|
|Total Fat||10.0g 15%||Saturated Fat||5.5g 28%|
|Cholesterol||22mg 7%||Sodium||617mg 26%|
|Potassium||880mg 25%||Carbohydrates||37.5g 13%|
|Dietary Fiber||17.0g 68%||Sugars||3.9g|
|Serving Size||1 Serving|
|Total Fat||10.0g 15%|
|Dietary Fiber||17.0g 68%|
|Per Serving%||Daily Value*|
|Calories from Fat||90|
|Saturated Fat||5.5g 28%|
- Wash and soak rice and dal for 30 minutes. Drain and add 4 cups water to it in a pressure cooker. Bring to a boil. Pressure cook up to 5 whistles. Shift the flame to medium after the 1st whistle. Once done, mash well.
- Mean while, clean and chop spinach, and sauté with few drops of oil until the volume just reduces. Cool and grind with little water to a paste.
- Heat ghee in a wok, and add cumin seeds. Once it crackles, add asafetida followed by ginger and green chili. Add finely chopped tomatoes and a little salt. Let it cook for a minute. Add the ground palak to the softened tomatoes. Add turmeric, sugar, garam masala and pepper powder. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes on medium flame. Add the mashed rice and dal along with required salt. Mix well.
- Serve hot with curds and fresh salads.
Health Benefits of Spinach include:
Low in fat and even lower in cholesterol, spinach is high in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, fiber, vitamins A, C, E and K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese.