Oven-Baked Parmesan Pumpkin Fries
- 1 small pie pumpkin (disco pumpkin)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1. Using a sharp knife, slice the pumpkin in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp. (reserve the seeds for roasting)
2. Slice the two ends off of each half of pumpkin. Then slice each half in half again. Peel the pumpkin pieces. Then slice the peeled pieces into 1/4 inch fries.
3. Place the pumpkin fries in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let the fries soak for at least 30 minutes (preferably overnight).
4. When fries are finished soaking, preheat the oven to 425 Degree Fahrenheit. Line a greased baking tray with parchment paper. (you can arrange two layers of parchment too so it can absorb more liquid). Set aside.
5. Drain the fries, and then pat dry with paper towels.
6. Fill a large zip-top bag with the dried fries, and then top with cornstarch. Close the bag and shake to cover the fries.
7. Place the fries in a large bowl, drizzle with the olive oil and then toss with your hands to coat evenly. Sprinkle on the paprika and garlic powder and toss again until coated well. Spread fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until the fries are crisp and golden brown. (oven times may vary) While the fries are baking, toss together the cheese, parsley, and sea salt. As soon as the fries come out of the oven, sprinkle on the Parmesan mixture.
Pumpkin is a great vegetable to be served to your kids because of the numerous benefits it holds. Some benefits at a glance are:
- good source of essential nutrients for baby’s development
- builds stronger immune system
- kills intestinal worms
- antimicrobial properties
- supplies antioxidants
A sweet and salty combo comes in the form of crispy, Oven-Baked Parmesan Pumpkin Fries; these pumpkin fries are sweet, salty, and totally healthy. Crunchy on the outside, soft and sweet on the inside these are great munchies for your little ones.
With Halloween coming up, these fries are perfect to serve up at a Halloween Kids’s party because pumpkin so aptly fits the occasion!
|Serving Size 1 Serving|
|Per Serving% Daily Value*|
|Calories from Fat 87|
|Total Fat 9.7g15%|
|Saturated Fat 1.4g7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g6%|
|Vitamin A 47% · Vitamin C 36%|
|Calcium 3% · Iron 8%|