Mexican Vegetable And Bean Rice
- 1 cup brown rice or basmati rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- little less than 1/2 cup of cooked red kidney beans or rajma
- 3 tablespoons cooked corn
- 1/2 a bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tomatoes, pureed or 1/2 cup of packaged tomato puree
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 to 5 stalks of spring onion, finely chopped
|Serving Size||1 Serving||Per Serving%||Daily Value*|
|Calories||1262||Calories from Fat||198|
|Total Fat||22.0g34%||Saturated Fat||3.4g17%|
|Protein||41.2g||Vitamin A||80% ·|
|Serving Size||1 Serving|
|Per Serving%||Daily Value*|
|Calories from Fat||198|
|Vitamin A||80% ·|
- Wash the rice and drain all the water.
- Soak the red kidney beans overnight and pressure cook this till it becomes soft. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a wok, heat oil and throw in the chopped garlic. Add the sliced onions and sauté till it becomes soft and pink. Now add the chopped bell peppers. Add salt and sauté well.
- Now add the rice and sauté well till it starts to crackle. Add the pureed tomatoes and mix well. Add the cooked red kidney beans, corn and throw in pepper and oregano. Into this add vegetable stock. Adjust salt if necessary. Allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Turn the flame down to a simmer and cook covered till the rice is cooked well and the water has evaporated. Once done, fluff the rice with a fork. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and spring onions.
- Serve hot/ warm with freshly cut salads.
This delicious bowl of rice is a whole meal in itself and contains the goodness of a whole lot of vegetables and kidney beans. It is protein rich and has enough carbs to keep you full and energetic through the day.
This dish is: Low in saturated fat, No cholesterol, Very high in manganese and High in vitamin C.