- Melt In The Mouth Chickpeas And Spinach In Coconut Milk (Make Ahead Freezer Meals)
Melt-in-the-Mouth Chickpeas and Spinach in Coconut Milk (Make Ahead Freezer Meals)
- 2 teaspoons oil or ghee
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger, from a 3-inch piece
- 1/2 cup sun-dried or fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced (about 2 tablespoons juice)
- 1 dried hot red pepper or dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1.5 cups chickpeas, cooked and drained
- 1 big bunch of fresh spinach; coarsely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups thick coconut milk
- Salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- A generous amount of Coriander leaves; to garnish
- 2 tablespoons toasted grated coconut; to garnish
- Heat the oil or ghee in a large heavy cooking pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is beginning to brown. Add the garlic, ginger, tomatoes, lemon zest, and red pepper, if using. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chickpeas and cook over high heat for a few minutes, or until the chickpeas are beginning to turn golden and they are coated with the onion and garlic mixture.
- Toss in the spinach, one handful at a time. This will take about 5 minutes; stir in a handful or two and wait for it to wilt down and make room in the pot before adding the next handful. When all the spinach has been added, pour in the coconut milk, salt, ground ginger, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, then turn down the heat and cook for 10 minutes, or until the chickpeas are warmed through. Taste and add more salt and lemon juice, if necessary.
- Once done, garnish with coriander leaves and toasted coconut.
- Serve hot over plain rice, rotis or bread.
Freeze in individual portions. This stays well for a few weeks. Allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge and then reheat gently over low heat on the stove.
Chickpeas are high in nutrients which helps your baby in development. A cupful of chickpeas contains the following benefits for your baby:
- Rich source of folate, iron, zinc, protein, manganese and calcium (equivalent to a cup of milk)
- Strengthens immune system
- Prevents weakness and anemia
- Helps the body to function properly
- Boosts hair growth
- Improves concentration
- Help build strong bones
- Good source of polyunsaturated fats
- Acts as a laxative
- Has immune boosting benefits
Spinach is a green, leafy vegetable that is cheap and affordable for everyone. It is a rich source of minerals, vitamins, pigments and phytonutrients. All of these together make spinach very beneficial for a number of vital processes.
Spinach has many important roles to play in maintaining a healthy body; various health benefits of spinach include the following:
- Good Eyesight
- Neurological Benefits
- Maintains Blood Pressure
- Strengthens Muscles
- Bone Mineralization
- Proper Metabolic Activity
- Anti-Inflammatory Capacity
- Skin Protection
- Protein Source
This dish is both comforting and your daily dose of vegetables, all in one dish. The stew itself is a quick one and is a powerhouse vegan comfort food, with loads of flavor and solid sustenance from the chickpeas. This would make a great make-ahead freezer-friendly meal for weeknight dinners.
|Serving Size 1 Serving|
|Per Serving% Daily Value*|
|Calories from Fat 1193|
|Total Fat 132.6g204%|
|Saturated Fat 99.3g496%|
|Dietary Fiber 77.1g308%|
|Vitamin A 747% · Vitamin C 497%|
|Calcium 80% · Iron 213%|