Masala Akki Roti
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
- 1/2 a carrot, grated
- 1/2 a capsicum, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped dill leaves
- 2 tablespoons cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 an onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery
- Oil to cook
|Serving Size||1 Serving||Calories||538|
|Per Serving%||Daily Value*||Calories from Fat||170|
|Total Fat||18.9g29%||Saturated Fat||5.1g26%|
|Protein||8.6g||· Vitamin C||150%|
|Serving Size||1 Serving|
|Per Serving%||Daily Value*|
|Calories from Fat||170|
|· Vitamin C||150%|
- Add the chopped green chilies in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 to 5 tablespoons of warm water, onions, jaggery, cumin and asafetida and leave aside for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile sift the flour twice.
- Grind the coconut, ginger, chillies to a coarse paste with very little water. Add the vegetables and grind again to a slightly runny paste.
- Add this masala paste and salt to the jaggery-cumin water in the bowl. Mix well, add the rice flour a little at a time and make a smooth dough (the water in the masala paste provides adequate moisture). Add little warm water if required.
- Once dough comes to shape, adjust the salt and spices to suit your taste
- Add a layer of oil over the akki roti dough and keep aside. Cover and allow it to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take a spoonful of akki dough and spread it on a greased plantain leaf or a wet muslin cloth. Pat the dough on the cloth or leaf to make circular discs as you would do for a roti. Make a small hole in the center for even cooking of the akki roti.
- Preheat a tawa or pan over medium heat and grease the skillet. Carefully invert the akki roti onto the skillet and peel out the cloth or the leaf.
- Cook the Masala Akki Roti on medium to low heat. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil around the roti and cook it on both sides until brown spots appear. Once done, remove from heat and serve warm with a chutney of your choice.
The Masala Akki Roti is a delicious and spicy flat bread from that is made from rice flour. The akki roti makes a great vegan and gluten free breakfast option. Made from rice flour, shredded vegetables and spices, the Akki Roti can also serve as an excellent snack for those hunger pangs. Serve the Masala Akki Roti along with a chutney of your choice.