Delicious Sugar Cookies For Christmas : Cook-Along With Your Kids
- 170 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 80 grams muscovado sugar or powdered jaggery (refer notes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 210 grams whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar (or jaggery) until very light. Scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple times during the process to be sure that all the butter and sugar are getting properly creamed.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add this dry ingredient mix to the creamed butter and sugar. Combine until a soft dough forms.
- Cling wrap the dough and chill in refrigerator until slightly firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Shape the cookies with your hand or with cookie cutters and place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are just golden. Let cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Store in an airtight container, where the cookies will keep for up to 1 week. The dough can be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 1 month. This is a great make-ahead dish to plan before a party.
- These cookies can be eaten as is or will also do beautifully sandwiched around a layer of ice cream!
- You can also ice these cookies to make it look more festive. But we prefer the ones without the icing because it tends to get too sweet.
- If you are using jaggery, add a little less because it tends to get too sweet.
Sugar cookies are must-have on every Christmas table. Both Kids and adults love them. How about giving your kids a chance to help you make these yum cookies? My daughter loved shaping them with her little hands. She refused to use the cookie cutters I had.
These cookies are completely free of refined flour and refined sugar free!!
This Christmas, pave the way for your family towards healthy eating by indulging in home-made and healthy bakes. Enjoy!
|Serving Size 1 Serving|
|Per Serving% Daily Value*|
|Calories from Fat 1260|
|Total Fat 140.0g215%|
|Saturated Fat 87.7g439%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g23%|
|Vitamin A 85% · Vitamin C 0%|
|Calcium 13% · Iron 55%|