- Curried Chicken With Apples And Raisins Salad For Kids (Can Be A Veggie Salad Too)
Curried Chicken with Apples and Raisins Salad For Kids (Can be a Veggie Salad too)
Ingredients for the Salad
- 1 cup chopped and cooked boneless chicken cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooked green peas (don’t overcook it)
- 1 small potato; boiled
- 1 small carrot; boiled
- 1 apple; finely chopped (sweet eating apple like royal gala etc)
- A little chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons raisins
Ingredients for the Salad Dressing
- 3/4 cup hung curd/yoghurt (you can mix in 1 or 2 teaspoons of mayonnaise too)
- A pinch of powdered cinnamon
- A pinch of cracked black pepper
- A pinch of powdered cumin
- A pinch of powdered turmeric
- A pinch of powdered coriander
- A pinch of ground ginger (you can also use freshly grated ginger) and Salt to taste
- In a bowl combine hung curd/yoghurt, pepper, salt, powdered cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, coriander and ginger together. This is the salad dressing.
- In another large salad bowl, mix together chicken, (if using only vegetables, avoid chicken) vegetables and raisins.
- Add the prepared dressing in to the salad bowl filled with vegetables and chicken. Combine well. Do a taste test to see if seasoning is right, adjust if necessary.
- Chill for half an hour in the refrigerator. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
You can throw in more veggies to make it more wholesome and filling.
This crisp and cool chicken salad has a refreshing combination of ingredients to satisfy your children’s taste buds while giving them the nutrition they need. This salad is a great ‘make ahead’ meal that you can make over the weekend and let the flavors meld. This dish is also very versatile because you can eat it as it is or chuck it into sandwiches, pitas, tortillas or even rotis to make it a whole meal. If made ahead all you have to do is assemble as required. This is sure to be one of your kid’s lunch or dinner favorites. You can also use left over chicken in this recipe.
For the vegetarian version of this salad, simply avoid the chicken in the recipe. This salad is a delicious mix of protein, vitamins, carbohydrates and other good things. A healthy salad which will definitely please every kid’s palate.