- 3/4 cup chickpeas/kabuli chana/chole
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 medium to large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons yogurt/dahi
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder/haldi
- 2 tablespoons kasuri methi/druid fenugreek leaves
- A pinch of saffron strands (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cashewnuts, fried
- 1 tablespoon raisins, fried
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate aril
- 1-3/4 cups water for pressure cooking the rice
- Few sprigs mint and coriander leaves for garnish, chopped
- Salt as required
- 2 small green cardamom
- 2 single thin strand of mace
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick/dal chini
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 black cardamom/badi elaichi
Ingredients For Paste
|Serving Size||1 Serving||Per Serving||% Daily Value*|
|Calories||1932||Calories from Fat||389|
|Total Fat||43.2g66%||Saturated Fat||18.7g94%|
|Calcium||45% ·||Vitamin Ac||Vitamin A 66% ·|
|Serving Size||1 Serving|
|Per Serving||% Daily Value*|
|Calories from Fat||389|
|Vitamin Ac||Vitamin A 66% ·|
- Rinse and soak the chickpeas/chole overnight or for 8 to 9 hours in enough water. Drain well and then add to the pressure cooker with the water. Add a little salt and pressure cook till the cooker releases 8 to 9 whistles and the chickpeas are tender and cooked well. Drain the cooked chickpeas/chole and keep them aside.
- Rinse the rice very well in water. Soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. Strain and keep it aside.
- Make a smooth paste of the ingredients, listed under ‘Ingredients For Paste’ in a grinder with a very little water. Once done, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions. Fry them till golden brown.
- Soak saffron in a little lukewarm milk and keep it aside. (optional)
- To Prepare The Pulao
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and add all the whole spices. Sauté the whole garam masala or whole spices for some seconds till fragrant, and then add some more sliced onions from 1 onion. Sauté the onions until it turns golden brown. Add the ginger-garlic-chilli paste and sauté till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away. Add the chopped tomatoes, red bell pepper and sauté for two minutes.
- Into this add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder and kasuri methi and sauté for a minute or so. Then add the drained cooked chickpeas and mix well. Sauté the entire mixture for about 7 to 10 minutes and let the chickpeas soak in the masala. Add the basmati rice, curd, half of the fresh herbs, saffron threads soaked in milk and again mix everything well.
- Once it is done, add the water; season with salt and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Don’t open the cooker. Once the pressure settles down, open the lid of the cooker and gently mix the rice, using a fork.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and mint leaves, cashew and raisins and pomegranate. Leave it covered for 15 minutes. Fluff the rice once again before serving.
- Serve Chana Pulao with any raita of your choice.
Chana Pulao is an easy one pot meal and a healthy dish to serve on days when you want to serve something more than the same old vegetable biriyani. Studded with protein-rich chickpeas, fragrant from the garam masala, this basmati rice pulao is easy and quick. Served with any raita of your choice, this is one delicious pot of rice.
This dish is: Low in cholesterol, Low in sodium, High in manganese and High in vitamin C