Carrot Tahini Salad With Spiced Chickpeas
For The Spiced Chickpeas:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For The Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Water to thin if necessary
For The Salad:
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220° Celsius. Toss the chickpeas with the oil, spices, salt, and pepper. Place on a greased baking tray and roast in the oven until lightly browned and crisp, about 15 to 20 minutes. Shake the pan several times throughout baking. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Add water if the dressing is too thick. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the shredded carrots, onion, raisins, and parsley with the dressing. Mix well. Season with adequate salt and pepper.
- Right before serving, top with the chickpeas.
- The chickpeas should be added to the salad right before serving to ensure they stay crispy.
- Salad leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
‘Tahini’, a paste made from ground sesame seeds, plays an important role in Middle Eastern cooking, adding flavor and texture. You may also use it in a variety of other cuisines. It is packed with essential vitamins and minerals!
A quick look at it’s benefits:
- It is rich in minerals such as phosphorus, lecithin, magnesium, potassium and iron.
- It is a good source of Methionine, which aids in liver detoxification.
- It is one of the best sources of calcium.
- It is high in vitamin E and vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B15.
- Helps promote healthy cell growth.
- It helps prevent anemia.
- Helps maintain healthy skin and muscle tone.
- It has 20% complete protein, making it a higher protein source than most nuts.
- It is easy for your body to digest because of its high alkaline mineral content, which is great for assisting in weight loss.
- It is high in unsaturated fats (good fat!)
This light and crunchy salad is such a welcome change after all the holiday indulgences. This Carrot Tahini Salad With Spiced Chickpeas will be a bright addition to your table on a dark winter evening. KIDS, GO GRAB YOUR FORKS!!
|Serving Size 1 Serving|
|Per Serving% Daily Value*|
|Calories from Fat 846|
|Total Fat 94.0g145%|
|Saturated Fat 13.1g66%|
|Dietary Fiber 72.7g291%|
|Vitamin A 1226% · Vitamin C 261%|
|Calcium 84% · Iron 174%|