Almond Fig Breakfast Loaf : Healthy Snack Box Ideas
Ingredients For The Bread
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1/2 cup cane sugar or brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped whole almonds or any nuts or seeds
Ingredients For The Streusel Topping
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon chilled butter, cut into bits
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped whole almonds or any nuts or seeds
To Soak The Figs
- Place figs and boiling water in a small glass bowl. Leave aside for 20 minutes to hydrate. Drain and set aside.
- Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°Fahrenheit.
- To Make The Streusel Topping Combine sugar, flour, butter, and ground cinnamon in a bowl and stir with a fork or simply use your fingertips. Break down the butter and combine all ingredients well.
- Fold in the almonds and keep aside.
To Prepare The Bread
- In a bowl, whisk together both flours, almond meal, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine butter and sugar and whisk well. Add eggs and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Into this add the yogurt and vanilla extract and stir until combined well. Now add the flour mixture into the liquid mixture and stir until smooth. Fold the almonds and drained chopped figs into the batter.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with the streusel topping.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes approximately.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it cool completely. Slice, toast and serve this bread with a slathering of butter or it’s also great on it’s own with a cup of milk or drink of your choice.
The loaf can be stored covered at room temperature for up to 3 days and can be refrigerated after.
This recipe for ‘Almond Fig Breakfast Loaf’ is sure to be a winner with your whole family, a recipe you’ll keep coming back to. This bread is a quick breakfast option which is not too sweet and has enough fiber and protein. It is filling and delicious. It is the perfect on-the-go breakfast. Also makes a healthy snack box idea and quick party food.
|Serving Size 1 Serving|
|Per Serving% Daily Value*|
|Calories from Fat 1643|
|Total Fat 182.6g281%|
|Saturated Fat 74.8g374%|
|Dietary Fiber 42.4g170%|
|Vitamin A 74% · Vitamin C 6%|
|Calcium 139% · Iron 116%|