Everyday, the newspaper carries bad news which scares us for our children’s well-being in our absence. Sometimes , we wish we could put them in a bubble and protect them. Since we cannot do that, we could teach our children a skill that can help them protect themselves- Martial Arts. Besides self protection, there are several other benefits for kids by learning martial arts.
1. Focus and concentration: Martial Arts helps children improve their focus and concentration. Children who are always on the move sometimes have difficult being still and paying attention. Learning Martial arts aids in the development of this skill.
2. Connect mind and body: Making the mind body connection is a process that even adults struggle with through life. Even the realization takes a long time to happen. Martial arts teaches children this connection which is a valuable one. Learning the link between body, mind and breath can be one of the greatest learnings from Martial arts.
3. Build strength: As a strength building activity, it helps in improving physical fitness levels. Muscles get strengthened, toned and endurance is built.
4. Confidence and Humility: For kids who are confident it teaches them humility when they lose a fight and of course when kids win, it builds their confidence up. It teaches them a valuable lesson that sometimes you win and lose and you need to deal with both these outcomes in life.
5. Breathing under pressure: Many adults struggle to keep their cool when they are stressed out. Breathing is shallow and anxiety mounts. Breathing right is an important learning from martial arts. When your kids learn to breathe under stressful situations, it is a lifelong skill that they would be able to apply in other areas of their life as well.
6. Great for your introvert: Introverted children tend to struggle in team sports. So if you are looking for a physical sporting activity for your introverted child, Martial arts is a great option.
Success in life is a combination of physical and mental toughness with a generous helping of confidence. Martial Arts is a great activity to address all of those areas. Get your kid to try a class to see if this something they would enjoy.
Image Source: via Google Images